Saturday, July 26, 2008

Long time gone....

As in me. Been kind of absent lately on the internetz. No particular reason. The world has not gone under. I've not died or even gotten too sick I was unable to do anything. I've just taken a break from it all. ^_^

I've come to a conclusion though. Things have gotten tighter lately, in our pocketbooks. We've all noticed it, I'm sure. Higher gas prices, higher grocery prices, the list goes on and on. In our house we've certainly felt it. Which is why I've not bought yarn in a long time (not including the few skeins here and there for a WIP for Treanna, since I didn't have enough).
So what have I been doing, you ask? I've been *gasp* stash busting. Everything I've been working on has been made pretty much from stuff already in my possession. My stash. Working pretty well, too.
I managed to actually knit a clapotis for myself and have a second on in the making (though I'm worrying about running out of yarn on that one). No pictures yet though. I've also been working on 3 blankets (one of them being the aforementioned WIP for Treanna). One of them is done except for figuring out a way to make an edging. The other I'm still working on as it is a patchwork kind of thing.

It feels pretty good to be able to keep on knitting without spending more money on it. Though I will admit I wish I were able to get more lol. I've got a stash, but mostly it's oddballs of this and that (the downside of "inheriting" most of your stash rather than buying it yourself).

Anyway, back to this conclusion I was talking about before. The reason so many knitters acquire a stash over the years? We buy yarn when we are able to afford to do so, so that we will have it in times when we can't. So, for those who would look down on those of us with a stash of yarn, I say ha! Now you know why ^_~

By the by, after posting I looked at the banner above this post. The number of days left before Christmas is starting to scare me -_-.... so much to do, so little time!

3 comments:

Northeast Yarn Ho said...

I'm doing the same thing! The only yarn I bought recently was a skein of self-striping sock yarn at a LYS where I was on vacation last week. Other than that, I've been digging around in the stash, seeing what I can come up with. Ravelry's been a great help in matching projects with the stash yarn.

crafty_kat said...

I'm guessing you saw me on Ravelry then? lol. I know you're not likely to see this comment unless you check back (one minus about blogger, I have yet to figure out how to reply to a post and have the initial poster get notified there's something to read). Anywho, yeah, stash knitting it is... has to be. Kind of fun, but also intimidating. Mostly because of the oddballs being the main thing in my stash lol. Nothing to make big projects out of.

Gomerriffic said...

Well done on the stash busting! I'm doing a bit of that as well. Although I have bought yarn, it's mostly been for one Knitalong I'm doing at knitting group. I'm going to make a giant log cabin blanket.