Saturday, June 18, 2011

Socks!

Well, I finally took the plunge after much searching for a pattern that might work for me. Since I'm fairly inept as of yet, at understanding and tweaking patterns, it needed to be very cut and dry for me. I couldn't really find one, but the girl on Ravelry came to my aid, and pointed me to a wonderful tutorial and a recipe rather than a pattern. Isn't that the same thing, you ask? Yes, but not quite.


These are the most basic of basic socks, knitted toe-up, which means I cast on x-amount, and then increase until I get the desired width. The calculations given for that put me at about 68 stitches, but as I was knitting along, I noticed that it was still a little on the loose side. Add to that, that I was using left-over yarn from the fingerless gloves...


Yep, you guessed it. There's not enough left to make anklets with, like I'd hoped.


So I've frogged them, for the time being. I'm going to get yarn to match it (or contrast, depending), and have that be toes and heels, and use this yarn for the "body" of the socks.

Not one to be deterred for long, I cast on for a different pair. This time, I know there is enough yarn, as the toes and heels are going to be black, and the body of the socks will be a striped yarn. Already have a good start, and am quite pleased with them so far.



In other news, next weekend is Black Sheep Gathering, and I'm really looking forward to going. I don't think I'll be able to make it to the Ravelry meet up they have scheduled, since it's my niece's birthday that day, but all the same, it'll be good to go there again. Any of you folks going to be there?

No comments: