Thursday, July 21, 2011

Catching Up

Wow, I didn't realize how long it's been since I posted last. Life went just a little crazy (okay, a lot crazy) and I lost track of time. So sorry about that.

Anyway. Hubby took me to Black Sheep Gathering last month, and we had fun. There were a few things I missed from other years (no Angora bunnies on display, nor were there Alpacas, bar two out front). I noticed there was a huge increase in fiber for sale, compared to actual yarn for sale, which struck me as interesting. I guess spinning's becoming more and more the thing to do. Too bad I can't do it (no, really, I tried. My hands hurt like crazy when I use a spindle, and since I have neither room or money for an actual spinning wheel, I'm not likely to find out whether I can do it that way instead).


Still, I got away with a very good haul. We went there to see about getting yarn for hubby's hat and gloves that he's requested (yay, I get to knit for him!), and managed to find some for a hat, at least. No luck on anything for gloves, though.

Once that was taken care of, I was told in no uncertain terms to buy yarn for me, and only me. Selfish knitting required. Very nice, but much harder to accomplish than one might think! Still, I did pretty well, scoring some sock yarn in different colors.

I was also treated to glass(!) knitting needles and wooden crochet hooks. I haven't tried the hooks yet, but oh my God, do I love, love, love my needles! If only they weren't so expensive! Anyway, these were a belated anniversary/early birthday gift from him. Score!

I won't upload all the pictures here, as it'll end up being a fairly heavy picture post to begin with, but you can see everything here.

Okay! Onward and upward, as they say!

So y'all remember those socks I started? The Harvest ones? I got a little further with them, but have had to pause at the heel because what I want doesn't work with that pattern. Not too big of a deal, as I can use a different heel, and I will, but I had to set them aside for now. Here's how far I got, though. I can't wait to finish these!



Aren't they cool? Love them!

Now you know me by now, I hope, so while I've had to shelve these, I started another pair out of some Alpaca yarn I was given a few years ago. First time ever knitting with the stuff, and I have to say, I'm lovin' it. It's different than anything I've worked with so far, and good golly, miss Molly, are they going to be warm!.



Had to put these aside as well, but for a different reason. A friend of mine helped us out of a very tight spot, so I wanted to do something to thank her. She's aware something's coming, but not what, and I won't give my secret away completely, but I will give you a sneak peek.


I ran into a counting problem, though, so for now, it's in time-out. Yeah, yeah, I know, I know. I can't help myself, okay?!

When PBrr asked on Ravelry for test knitters for a new colorway for her shop, I volunteered. Hand-dyed yarn? Hell, yeah, I'm there! I was one of the lucky few to receive a skein, and though the color wasn't quite what I'd expected (the name was Bloodoranges for Breakfast, I think she's since changed it to Grapefruit Diet, though), I've fallen in love with it. 

I'm making a Deirdre shawl with it. Simple enough (supposedly, I don't quite agree with that assessment, however) to display the colors, and lacy enough to get a feel of how they'd look like that.

Here's what I've got, so far. And really, anyone who knows me will get just how strange it is for me to be in love with this yarn.







I think this last shot is the most color-accurate one out of all of them. Well, maybe the first, but skeined up like that it gives a wholly different look than when it's all knitted up. I still have quite a way to go before I'm done, but I'm seriously loving this already. 

There's also a mini-swap I'm doing with another girl from Ravelry, but haven't started on that yet. Mostly because I'm still trying to figure out pattern and yarn. Once I've got something there, I'll of course let you know, too. Still in a swap with Jen, too, but that one's proving a little more elusive for me, since I'm lacking a few things that I require in order to finish some of the stuff I've got going for it. 

Alright, this post has reached epic proportions already, so I think I'll sign off and go do some more knitting ;-) Also, I am ignoring my widget for now.

*hums* Christmas is coming...

Oy!

No comments: